Long-standing analyst predictions that UK viewers will desert their TVs for laptops, tablets and smartphones are a long way from coming true according to new figures released by TV marketing body Thinkbox.
The figures show that watching on a traditional TV accounts for 98.5% of all UK viewing, with the remaining 1.5% split between all other devices.
The majority of the average 3 hours, 55 minutes, 30 seconds of TV watched per person each day is linear (broadcast) TV on a TV set while the the majority of the three and a half minutes watched on tablets, smartphones and laptops is via catch-up services such as BBC iPlayer.
Viewers are also watched an average of 12 minutes more TV per day in 2013 than ten years ago, although viewing is down 9 minutes compared to 2012’s Olympic peak.
Digital recorders such as Sky+, YouView, Freeview+ and TiVo are also failing to produce the oft-claimed fundamental shift in viewing habits.
Of the estimated 59% of UK households which own a recorder, 83.6 % of linear TV was watched live compared to 84.4% in 2012.
Viewers also tend to watch their recordings soon after the initial broadcast with 47% of programmes watched within 24 hours of being recorded and 81% watched within two days.
Thinkbox suggests some on-demand viewing, which currently takes place on portable devices, will move to the TV set as connected platforms such as Smart TV become more popular.
Lindsey Clay, Thinkbox’s Chief Executive: “New screens are making TV even more convenient for viewers and creating new opportunities for advertisers. But, the more we learn, the clearer it becomes that the TV set will remain our favourite way to watch TV – especially as on-demand services become more available on the best screen.”